Each of our adult classes offers a different style of faith formation and fellowship, allowing everyone to find their place in our adult education programming from 9:30am to 11am on Sunday morning.
Some days you just need to talk and be heard. Sometimes the struggles of your week leave you yearning for adult companionship and a Christian perspective. You may stop in any time and join in the discussion. You may find that the honest conversation and earnest sharing of the class will keep you coming and offer you enduring genuine friendships.
The Seekers Class offers adult fellowship and stimulating presentations and discussions on a variety of issues such as ethics, life’s quandaries, and faith challenges. The seekers class meets in the parlor at 9:45 AM.
- September 10 Tracy Merrick will update us on the First Church partnership with Warren United Methodist Church, our racism Committee, and recent shared experiences with Warren regarding Charlottesville.
- September 17 Krisiti Woolsey will help us follow-up her sessions with us last May as we reflected on our church and its mission.
- September 24 Noted Pittsburgh psychiatrist, Dr. Maurice Cerul, will help us understand the medical meaning of “transgender” or “transexual” (the “T” in LGBTQ) and its recent developments. He was the first medical director of PERSAD with its mission of “strengthening the regions LGBTQ Communities and their allies.” He and David Keller have developed a friendship originating at the Jewish Community Center in Shadyside.
- October 1 Jeff Miller will share with us the important work of the interfaith group “Circles of Faith.” The group invites the public to experience the “Circles of Faith” gathering at Schenley Plaza Sunday afternoon October 15.
OPEN CIRCLE ON RACE
A new adult Sunday School class on race will be forming on September 10 at 9:45 a.m. in Fellowship Hall. Discussion will be focused on race, using books (one entitled The Hate U Give) and articles to inform our conversations. Coffee and bagels too! Class will be led by Pastor Jim and Sam Procter.
- Parents of Young Children Gathering
Join parents of young children at 9:45am in the Preschool room to relax, exhale, and enjoy the company of other parents who want to raise their little ones with the love of God. This is a space for parents who are looking to connect with adults with their children, or for parents without their children.
THROUGHOUT THE WEEK:
COMPANIONS IN CHRIST
Companions in Christ meets every other Tuesday at 6pm for sharing and reflection, and exploring ways that different texts connect with our spiritual journey.
NEW BIBLE STUDY
What does it mean to discern a call to… Welcome? Intention? Courage? Join us for this lectionary-based study that pairs weekly group discussion with daily spiritual practice and reflection. We will meet Wednesdays at 7pm. This class begins on Wednesday, September 13th.